Benefits of Membership
NASS offers a wide range of value-added services, including:
- NASS works closely with the relevant DBERR Divisions and, where necessary, with other Government departments, including HM Treasury, DTLR and DEFRA, to ensure that ministers and civil servants are aware of the role of steel stockholders in the supply of steel products to the UK market. Where Government policy is likely to have an impact on members’ interests, then NASS will make representations to the appropriate Secretary of State.
- NASS works in conjunction with other trade associations (e.g. EEF, The Manufacturers’ Association; CBI; BCC; Freight Transport Association). Along with other major trade associations, NASS is also a member of the Metals Forum that meets approximately quarterly to discuss and campaign on matters of mutual concern. In Europe, NASS meets representatives of the EC on a regular basis and takes a leading role in Eurometal, a Europe-wide organisation representing steel distributors.
- NASS has input to the Bank of England, and thereby to the Monetary Policy Committee, through regular contact with the Bank’s Agent in the West Midlands.
- NASS holds regular product group liaison meetings with ISTA, European Producers, UK Steel’s Hot Rolled Product Group, and Corus.
- NASS has input to all British and European standards for steel products and has dialogue with BSI.
NASS provides a forum for members to discuss issues, exchange views and information, creating networking opportunities with key players in the wider steel industry, including:
- Regular meetings for each of the product groups; Strip Mill Coil & Sheet, General Steels and Plate & Processing.
- Area Association meetings, which provide a regional forum, a social programme and facility for local discussion.
- Specialist forums and seminars to deal with current issues affecting the Industry, such as Transport, the Climate Change Levy, e-business, Quality Assurance, Benchmarking and Best Practice, Credit Management, Bar Coding, Investors in People, etc.
- NASS Steel Industry Dinner, held annually in October, and an excellent networking event.
- AGM and steel conferences.
NASS provides accurate, timely and representative statistics and other relevant data specifically for the steel stockholding market. These include:
- Trading Summaries – monthly statistics on stocks, receipts and despatches across all the key product sectors
- Business Trends Survey – monthly survey on members’ views on prices, stock levels, market growth, etc.
- Profilers Activity Index
- Scrap Comparison
- Quarterly steel import statistics
- Forecast Trends in demand and consumption of steel (half-yearly)
Information for Management:
NASS keeps members fully up to date on relevant business issues, information and surveys covering Health & Safety, Training & Development, Transport, Human Resources, Employment Law, Credit Control, Finance and others through:
- Specialist forums and seminars.
- Circulation of reports and key papers .
- ‘News Update’ – providing fortnightly industry and member news.
- ‘NASS NEWS’ – a high quality magazine containing both industry and member news.
- Health & Safety guidance, tailored for the industry – the documentation used by enforcement authorities in your area.
- Training courses, specifically tailored for the industry – at fees much lower than comparable courses run by other training providers.
- Brochures and videos.
- Web site – contains members’ details and links to other relevant web sites.
- 50% discount off the full price of British Standards.
- 20% discount with Best Western Hotels on accommodation, and 5% off conference bookings.
- Incentives Scheme available from Premier Travel Inn.
- Competitive fuel prices with a fuel card from Husk (UK) Ltd.
Buy in confidence from the ’Professionals in Steel’
Welcome to NASS – the voice of steel distribution
Our mission is to represent, promote and defend the interests of our steel stockholding and associate members.
Visitors to our site will find a wide variety of information, all of which is easily accessible.
NASS produces a range of publications, covering both general and health and safety topics, all of which can be ordered on-line. Bookings for training courses and other events can also be made on-line.
To source a particular steel product, simply use our powerful on-line search facility, which gives direct access to hundreds of steel products held in stock by our members. Follow the links to gain information on NASS member companies, their products and services.
Since its establishment in 1928, when it was known as the National Association of Iron & Steel Stockholders, NASS has been successfully working to promote the interests of steel stockholders throughout the country and is the only trade association covering the whole of the UK steel stockholding industry.
NASS members supply steel to UK manufacturing and are a vital link in the supply chain from producer to customer, handling some 8 million tonnes of steel a year, principally to the construction, automotive and engineering industries.